insserv does not update symlink on changes to Default-Start / Default-Stop

Michael Biebl biebl at debian.org
Thu Apr 17 01:42:13 UTC 2008

Hi,

I noticed a rather inconsistent behaviour of insserv.

1.) Removing runlevels from Default-Start or Default-Stop, doesn't make
insserv remove the symlinks from those run levels.
One has to run insserv -r $service && insserv $service
This is rather cumbersome, because if you change the header file, you'd
have to run insserv -r manually.

I said inconsistent, because adding runlevels to Default-Start or
Default-Stop will cause insserv to add new symlinks.

2.) I think there is a similar inconsistency with Required-Start.
Adding new dependencies will cause insserv to update the start priority,
but there are cases, if I remove a dependency, the service is not
reordered (and started earlier, as early as possible).

Example: powersaved
# Required-Start:    $remote_fs hal dbus
# Required-Stop:     $remote_fs hal dbus

Removing hal, dbus from Required-Start
# Required-Start:    $remote_fs
# Required-Stop:     $remote_fs hal dbus
  and running insserv, will not make powersaved start earlier.
I would have expected powersaved to be started earlier but shutdown
being unchanged.

Removing hal, dbus also from Required-Stop
# Required-Start:    $remote_fs
# Required-Stop:     $remote_fs
will finally make insserv reorder the service, i.e. powersaved will
start earlier and shutdown later.

Imho these two issues should be addressed.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?