Tested Dependency Based Boot

Fielder George Dowding fgdowding at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 08:42:55 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 1:17 AM,  <paddy at panici.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 12:44:12AM -0900, Fielder George Dowding wrote:
>> It works.
>>
>> Shall I post details? If so, what?
>>

> You could start with how you tested.
>
> Regards,
> Paddy
> --
> One man's spam is another man's phish.

Right!

I have a Compaq Deskpro (PIII 996MHz, 256MB RAM, two WD 20.0GB hard
drives in RAID I with which I am experimenting. The first experiment
was setting up RAID I with IDE drives. I keep a local Debian mirror
that I update at least once a week. I have installed lenny. The
utility "uname -a" yields: Linux 2.6.26-1-686 #1 SMP Sat Nov 8
19:00:26 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

I did an update and included the insserv 1.12.0-4_i386.deb to be installed.

I followed the directions from the wiki:

http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts/DependencyBasedBoot

to do the installation and configuration, namely:

aptitude install insserv && dpkg-reconfigure insserv

The installation and configuration terminated with the line:

success: Boot system successfully converted

I shut down and did a cold boot. I reviewed the dmesg output and
noticed a problem right at the end. There was some problem with [drm].
I will be happy to elucidate further if needed.

Cheerio!

--
Fielder George Dowding, KL7FHX
dba Iceworm Enterprises