Feedback for readahead

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Wed Jan 16 08:43:46 UTC 2008

[Armin Berres]
> Yes, both files we're recreated on this box and I have neither /var/
> nor /usr/ on a seperate partition.

This does not sound right.  Do the timestamp on both files indicate
that they were updated during profile?  desktop should only be updated
if /var/ or /usr/ are separate partitions.

Your bootchart did not look like the profiling had worked as it
should.  If it had, no files should be read from disk after the
readahead process was done.

> Could one win anything by preloading in the background and starting
> e.g.  udev in the meanwhile? I have to admit that I have no idea if
> this would make any sense wrt a short boot time.

Benchmarking done on Ubuntu indicated that running it the background
was sligthly slower than running it in the foreground.  This is why it
was changed to run in the foreground, and not in the background as it
did initially.

> I think I tried this once and it also slowed down the boot
> duration.

OK.  I hope the preload package was not installed when you did the
profiling.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen