Slow shutdown in dependency-based boot system

Erich Schubert erich.schubert at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 15:27:56 UTC 2008

Hi,
> It is indeed nfs-common, if I call "/etc/init.d/nfs-common stop" before
> the shutdown, sendsigs only takes one second again.  So why does it take
> so long for sendsigs to kill rpc.{stat,idmap}.d?

Just a wild (completely uninformed) guess:
rpc.* register with portmap, so they probably also try to unregister with it.
What if portmap gets killed before the rpc.* processes, will they upon
-TERM try to unregister first and thus run into a timeout?
You could try putting portmap on the don't kill list and see if that
helps anything?

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
 erich@(mucl.de|debian.org) -- GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C (o_
 To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion. //\