readahead slows down boot

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Mon Mar 31 11:53:09 UTC 2008

[Alexander Heinlein]
> What's the reason for this strange result?

Based on the graph, I suspect readahead for some reason have concluded
that it need a lot more files than it really do.  I have no idea what
could cause it.  Perhaps it failed to stop when it should, and load
all the files used when you log in addition to the files that is used
during boot?  To test this theory, you could run one profile run,
reboot, and then try to boot normally, without logging in after the
profile run.

The normal boot is obviously reading less data than the readahead
boot, so there is something fishy about the profiling your machine
did.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen