Duplicate provides in init.d scripts - a summary and proposal

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Tue Aug 18 07:29:52 UTC 2009

I did a archive wide summary of all the provides strings in init.d
scripts, and collected the list of non-unique provides in use today:

2 block
  gnbd-client (#541980)
  gnbd-server (#541980)
2 console-screen
  console-screen.kbd.sh
  console-screen.sh
2 daemon
  clvm
  mailscanner
2 device
  gnbd-client (#541980)
  gnbd-server (#541980)
2 dicod
  dicod
  dictd
2 filesystem
  gfs-tools (#541980)
  gfs2-tools (#541980)
2 gearmand
  gearman-job-server
  gearman-server
2 lpd
  lpd
  lprng
2 lvm
  clvm
  lvm2
2 mail-transport-agent
  postfix
  xmail
2 network
  gnbd-client (#541980)
  gnbd-server (#541980)
2 networking
  netscript
  networking
2 postgresql
  postgresql-8.3 (#474515)
  postgresql-8.4 (#474515)
2 radiusd
  freeradius (#541882)
  radiusd
2 root-file-server
  root-system-rootd
  root-system-xrootd
2 slpd
  portsentry
  slpd
2 squid
  squid
  squid3
2 sshd
  lsh-server
  ssh
2 syslog
  inetutils-syslogd
  syslog-ng
2 xfs
  xfs
  xfstt
3 manager
  cman
  iscsitarget
  prelude-manager
  rgmanager
4 cluster
  clvm
  cman (#541980)
  iscsitarget
  rgmanager (#541980)
4 firebird-server
  firebird2.0-classic
  firebird2.0-super
  firebird2.1-classic
  firebird2.1-super
4 global
  gfs-tools (#541980)
  gfs2-tools (#541980)
  gnbd-client (#541980)
  gnbd-server (#541980)
4 pure-ftpd
  pure-ftpd
  pure-ftpd-ldap
  pure-ftpd-mysql
  pure-ftpd-postgresql
4 skeleton
  dnsmasq
  dspam (#541982)
  lldpd
  skeleton
  snmptt

When two packages have two different init.d scripts providing the same
service, it is impossible to install both at the same time, and the
package installed first need to be purged before it is possible to
install the other.

Most of these are bugs, but I suspect some of them should be handle by
defining new virtual provides in /etc/insserv.conf.d/.  The point is
to provide a way for several scripts to provide the same service while
still having unique provides strings to avoid the problems with
duplicate provides.  My proposal is to introduce at least these:

  $mail-transport-agent  - for the MTAs like exim, postfix, etc
  $console-setup         - fonts and keyboard is set up in the console
  $postgresql            - operantional postgresql server
  $radius                - operational radius server
  $xfs                   - operational font server
  $squid                 - operational squid server
  $lvm                   - LVM subsystem activated

I am not sure if - can be used in virtual facility names, but if not,
we will just have to shorten some names.  Any comments?

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen