Archive wide checking of init.d scripts - summary

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Wed Aug 26 07:22:52 UTC 2009

[Marco d'Itri]
>> error: duplicate provide inn2 in scripts inn2-lfs/init.d/inn2
>> inn2/init.d/inn2
> False positive: the two packages cannot be installed together.  I
> see other similar cases.

Nope, this is not a false positive.  I suspect you misunderstand the
problem.  The problem is real, as the scripts in /etc/init.d/ are left
behind when the package is removed.  The scripts and their symlinks
are only removed when the package is purged.  The result is in this
case that it is not possible to install inn2 if inn was installed
earlier, or the other way impossible to install inn if inn2 was
installed earlier.  And the same is the case for all the duplicate
provides errors.  The provides strings need to be unique.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen