Summary of runlevel settings in init.d scripts in the Archive

Sven Joachim svenjoac at gmx.de
Sun Aug 30 19:12:45 UTC 2009

On 2009-08-30 20:29 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> I did an archive white collecting of runlevel settings, and wanted to
> share it with you. :)
>
> First the start runlevel settings:
>
> *     1 # default-start: 2 3 4 5 s

Only a cosmetic problem, or is this really different from "s 2 3 4 5"?

> *     1 # default-start: s 1 2 3 4 5
>       2 # default-start: 1

Those two are killprocs and single, shipped in initscripts.

> *     4 # default-start: 2
> *     5 # default-start: 3 4 5
> *     5 # default-start: 3 5
> *     7 # default-start: s 2 3 4 5
> *     8 # default-start: 1 2 3 4 5
> *    14 # default-start: 2 3 5
>      17 # default-start:
>     112 # default-start: s
>     795 # default-start: 2 3 4 5
>
> Next the stop runlevel settings:
>
> *     1 # default-stop: 0 1 4 6
> *     2 # default-stop: 0

One of these is initscripts' halt, who is the other suspect?

> *     3 # default-stop: 6

Again, one of these is initscripts' reboot.

> *     8 # default-stop: 0 1 2 6
>      55 # default-stop: 1
> *    77 # default-stop: 0 6
> *   116 # default-stop:
>     709 # default-stop: 0 1 6
>
> I flagged the ones I suspect are buggy with (*).  Some of them are
> already reported to the BTS.  A bit surprised so many scripts is
> lacking stop runleve info, I must admit.

Many of those 112 scripts started in runlevel S (and some of the others)
may not need to ever be stopped because they do not start a daemon --
sudo comes to mind as an example.  However, 77 scripts which stop in
runlevels 0 and 6 but not in 1 looks like a lot of crap.

Sven