Summary of runlevel settings in init.d scripts in the Archive

Sven Joachim svenjoac at gmx.de
Sun Aug 30 20:26:35 UTC 2009

On 2009-08-30 21:59 +0200, Raphael Geissert wrote:

> Sven Joachim wrote:
>
>> On 2009-08-30 20:29 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
>>
>>> *     1 # default-start: 2 3 4 5 s
>>
>> Only a cosmetic problem, or is this really different from "s 2 3 4 5"?
>
> Probably he flagged them as it doesn't make sense to start during s and the
> other runlevels?

Oh yes, now I see that "s 2 3 4 5" is also (correctly) flagged as
suspicious.  Two notorious examples of these are portmap and nfs-common.

>> However, 77 scripts which stop in runlevels 0 and 6 but not in 1 looks
>> like a lot of crap.
>
> I can add a lintian check for that.
>
> I also plan to (at least try to) write a check that looks for mismatches
> between the update-rc.d settings and the ones specified on the LSB header.

That would be much appreciated.  Again, portmap has this problem here,
reported by yours truly as #491042.

> Although I believe insserv's update-rc.d could also warn about that during
> runtime.

Which it does not do currently, instead it silently ignores the
arguments given and only uses the LSB header information.

Sven