Next optimization with dependency based boot sequencing and concurrent booting

Marco d'Itri md at Linux.IT
Tue Jul 7 22:51:49 UTC 2009

On Jul 07, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com> wrote:

> > No, /dev/console must exist but you cannot rely on anything else
> > being present.
> Why not?  On my freshly installed Debian system, the following are
> present in /dev/ before udev is enabled:
This is an accident due to Debian development being uncoordinated,
they are not supposed to exist (especially the sound devices FFS!).

> > Again: what does NOT need to be run after udev?
> Is this a rhetorical question, or are you not aware of the scripts
> running before udev is started?  The glibc script runs before udev,
> and so do hostname.sh and mountkernfs.sh.  In a system using LSB
I am. S01glibc.sh is a special case which "needs" to be run before
everything (but is broken because on sparc it relies on /proc to be
mounted), S02mountkernfs.sh is a dependency for udev and S02hostname.sh
I do not know why should be run before udev is started.

> dependencies, the following scripts run before udev in my test chroot:
> glibc.sh, mountkernfs.sh, hostname.sh, procps and readahead.
As I explained procps should be run after udev, readahead looks like
another special case which likes to be run before everything.

--
ciao,
Marco