Migrating the insserv enabling stuff from insserv to sysv-rc

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Thu Jul 30 17:39:02 UTC 2009

[Petter Reinholdtsen]
> For the next insserv upload, version 1.12.0-11:
>
>   - Conflict with sysv-rc (<= 2.87dsf-2), to make sure it is not
>     possible to upgrade insserv without upgrading sysv-rc too.

This conflict break upgrades, and installation with dpkg -i when I
install more packages (insserv, sysv-rc, sysvinit, sysvinit-utils and
initscrits).  I'm not quite sure if this conflict is required or
not. :/  Removing it made upgrades and dpkg -i installation work
properly.

One idea presented by Daniel Silverstone when I discussed this problem
with him, was to move the insserv binary into the sysv-rc package.  It
would basicly get rid of the problem.  The new problem would be that
it would make it impossible for file-rc to use insserv for its boot
sequencing.  On the other hand, I guess we could try to solve that
problem if the file-rc developer express interest in doing it this
way, instead of now.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen