Can insserv and startpar give priority to some scripts to start them earlier?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Wed Oct 7 13:29:20 UTC 2009

One feature that might be good to have, is to be able to start
gdm/kdm/xdm/wdm/etc as soon as possible during boot, and everything
else after these scripts have started.  Is it possible to get insserv
to generate such sequence?

I would like to specify to inssert to give priority to kdm, and
everything not needed to start kdm should get a sequence number after
kdm.

How hard would it be to implement in insserv?  The list of priority
facilities would have to be fetched from a configuration file, or
perhaps from the init.d scripts themselves (like X-Interactive).

I guess I would end up with something like this in rc2.d/:

S01rsyslog
S02acpid
S02dbus
S03hal
S04network-manager
S05kdm
S06... the rest ...

A similar feature would be nice for startpar, to get kdm started
earlier during boot.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen