Announce new boot ordering to the press?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Thu Sep 10 08:50:06 UTC 2009

Hi.  I suspect Debian would be able to get some press coverage if we
announce the new dependency based boot sequencing stuff with a press
release to journalists.  The announcement to developers is available
from
<URL:http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2009/09/msg00003.html>,
but it is probably not useful for journalists.

Here are some ideas to attract attention from the press:

  - This change made Debian the second Linux distribution using the
    Linux Software Base style dependencies to order the boot sequence
    (Suse was first).

  - The change allow for some long term problems with the boot
    ordering to be fixed for good.

  - The change allow for faster boot by running the boot scripts in
    parallel, thus using all the cores on a multicore CPU. :)

  - The change enforce correct boot order as long as the provided
    dependency information is correct, making the boot system more
    robust.

Interested in writing a press release for this?  I could help draft a
text on the wiki.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen