debconf talk about the state of initscript options in debian?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Tue Apr 27 06:29:06 UTC 2010

[Kahn Gillmor]
> hey debian system initialization people--
>
> I was wondering if any of y'all will be coming to debconf 10 this
> summer in NYC.

I'm not visiting USA this summer, so I can't make it.

> I think it would be interesting and useful to have a
> talk/roundtable/panel/debate at debconf about the state of the
> various initscript projects in debian, to see what the projects can
> offer each other, and to help other DDs understand the choices and
> options available.  i think i've got initscripts-ng (insserv),
> sysvinit, upstart, and runit covered in this e-mail -- who else have
> i missed?

Note that sysvinit and insserv are complementary, and not
alternatives.  In Debian Squeeze, sysvinit will use insserv by default
for init.d script ordering.  Hopefully for Squeeze+1, /sbin/init in
sysvinit will be repaced with upstart while keeping most init.d
scripts and insserv in place.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen