C version of bootchart collector?

Jörg Sommer joerg at alea.gnuu.de
Sat Feb 27 13:02:48 UTC 2010

Hello Petter,

Petter Reinholdtsen hat am Fri 26. Feb, 10:34 (+0100) geschrieben:
> [Petter Reinholdtsen 2009-10-07]
> > Hi.  You get this email as the upstream author of bootchart.  Are you
> > aware of the C version of the collector available in the Ubuntu
> > package from
> > Would it be an idea to release a new upstream version with this faster
> > version of the collector?
> >
> > Is there a new version of the bootchart package planned any time soon?
> > I notice it is a long time since the last one, and several patches for
> > it is floating around, for example in the Debian package
>
> Since then, Michael Meeks have developed a new version of bootchart,
> which I discovered via the FOSDEM videos available from

I've looked at his slides
<http://people.gnome.org/~michael/data/2010-02-09-bootchart2.pdf>. Yes,
it's a better approach. Because I had no contact with Zika since august
2008 and there are no new commit since this time, I think it's better to
switch to this new version.

> I plan to take over the bootchart package in Debian unless it is
> updated to support profiling the initrd and provide higher resolution,
> because we need this for the boot speed release goal.

You can find my changes for initrd support here
<http://git.debian.org/?p=users/jo-guest/bootchart.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/next>
and in the bug report
<http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=473786>

I doubt I'll get enough time to update the bootchart package in the next
weeks. Hence, take the package and go on.

Bye, Jörg.
--
< Mr X.> jo: contact an admin to mount it for you
< jo> The admin is not, well how should I say it, he isn't very familiar with