Should move several scripts from rcS.d/ to runlevels 1-5

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Tue May 18 12:29:10 UTC 2010

[Marco d'Itri]
> Please explain why networking should not be started in single user
> mode.  What do other distributions and proprietary UNIX systems do?

I believe it should not be started in single user mode because it is
not needed to get single user mode operational.  For me, single user
mode should be the low level mode a sysadmin can boot to when
everything else fail, and if for example enabling the network causes
the system to crash because of a bug in some network driver, it should
be possible to boot into single user mode to try to fix it.

RHEL do not start the network in single user.  Its equivalent of our
rcS.d/ is the script /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, which only set hostname
based on the network configuration, and leave network setup to
/etc/rc3.d/S10network.  SuSe work the same way.

I am not sure how Solaris work these days with its new boot system,
but traditionally its single user did not start the network as far as
I know.

> Anyway, the list is long enough that even if your proposal had some
> merit I doubt that it would be worth pursuing before we switch to
> upstart, systemd or whatever.

Possibly.  I believe moving scripts out of rcS.d/ would make it easier
to solve the fundamental problem of our current boot system (scripts
running before the kernel events they depend on have happened) if
scripts that do not depend on kernel events have been moved out of
rcS.d/.  This is based on my belief that most of rcS.d/ need to be
transformed into something triggered by kernel events, and moving the
rest of the scripts out reduces the complexity of the migration.

>> S21pppd-dns
>> S21udev-mtab
> I see no reason to delay running these.

The question is not really if their execution should be delayed, but
if it is _required_ to run before entering single user.

I have not evaluated the entries in the list, it was simply all
scripts in rcS.d from networking and later (minus the
stop-bootlogd-single which need to run before single user mode is
entered).

>> S21procps
> This one must be run as soon as possible.

Does it need to run before entering single user?

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen