Should move several scripts from rcS.d/ to runlevels 1-5

Erich Schubert erich.schubert at gmail.com
Tue May 18 13:37:14 UTC 2010

Hi,

> Please explain why networking should not be started in single user mode.
> What do other distributions and proprietary UNIX systems do?

As far as I know, some unix systems will even keep the disks at read-only
mode. Also they all seem to agree at not bringing up any daemons. But isn't
e.g. dhcpcd a daemon?
The goal is to allow recovery with minimal risk of damage.

Given that starting networking is usually as simple as
$ /etc/init.d/networking start
(or invoke-rc.d, or some upstart equivalent)
I see no benefit of enabling networking in single-user mode _by_default_.
It's not as if you cannot start networking when you need it.
However, networking may eventually trigger ip-up.d and similar scripts,
which CAN probably cause some issues.

best regards,
Erich Schubert