[Kernel-handbook-general] About changing the configuration before building

Chen Baozi baozich at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 02:52:15 UTC 2014

Hi all,

According to the handbook, to change the configuration before building, one
could do:

$ make -C debian/build/build_${ARCH}_${FEATURESET}_${FLAVOUR} menuconfig

And then build the packages using:

$ fakeroot make -f debian/rules.gen \
	binary-arch_${ARCH}_${FEATURESET}_${FLAVOUR}

However, it seems that what the first command is the .config under the
debian/build/build_${ARCH}_${FEATURESET}_${FLAVOUR}, while the binary-arch
would use the config from ${BUILD_DIR}/config.${ARCH}_${FEATURESET}_${FLAVOUR}.
That means the first command does not actually work…

Is it considered a bug of the handbook? Or I misunderstood the handbook?

(I’m not on the list, please CC me if replying.)

Cheers,

Chen Baozi