[Kernel-handbook-general] About changing the configuration before building

Chen Baozi baozich at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 03:24:25 UTC 2014

Hi Ben,

> On Dec 12, 2014, at 11:16, Ben Hutchings <ben at decadent.org.uk> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 2014-12-12 at 10:52 +0800, Chen Baozi wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> According to the handbook, to change the configuration before building, one
>> could do:
>>
>> $ make -C debian/build/build_${ARCH}_${FEATURESET}_${FLAVOUR} menuconfig
>>
>> And then build the packages using:
>>
>> $ fakeroot make -f debian/rules.gen \
>> 	binary-arch_${ARCH}_${FEATURESET}_${FLAVOUR}
>>
>> However, it seems that what the first command is the .config under the
>> debian/build/build_${ARCH}_${FEATURESET}_${FLAVOUR}, while the binary-arch
>> would use the config from ${BUILD_DIR}/config.${ARCH}_${FEATURESET}_${FLAVOUR}.
> [...]
>
> The latter file is only generated and copied while the build directory
> is being set up (setup_$(ARCH)_$(FEATURESET)_$(FLAVOUR) targets).  Once
> that is done (indicated by the presence of a stamp file), invoking the
> corresponding build-arch and binary-arch targets will not cause it to be
> copied again.

Thanks. However, it looks like only if did I edit the latter file the
modified config can then be used in the binary-arch_* build. If I used
the ‘menuconfig’ way I mentioned and then invoked the binary-arch target,
the build didn’t use the .config I have just changed by ‘menuconfig’.

Anything that I might be wrong?

Cheers,

Baozi