[Kernel-handbook-general] About changing the configuration before building

Ben Hutchings ben at decadent.org.uk
Sat Dec 27 00:57:21 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-12-12 at 17:46 +0800, Chen Baozi wrote:
> > On Dec 12, 2014, at 12:55, Ben Hutchings <ben at decadent.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 2014-12-12 at 11:24 +0800, Chen Baozi wrote:
> >> Hi Ben,

> >> Thanks. However, it looks like only if did I edit the latter file the
> >> modified config can then be used in the binary-arch_* build. If I used
> >> the ‘menuconfig’ way I mentioned and then invoked the binary-arch target,
> >> the build didn’t use the .config I have just changed by ‘menuconfig’.
> >>
> >> Anything that I might be wrong?
> >
> > Please provide the full series of commands you tried.
>
> $ fakeroot make -f debian/rules.gen setup_armhf_none_armmp-lpae
> $ make -C debian/build/build_armhf_none_armhf_none_armmp-lpae menuconfig
> $ fakeroot make -f debian/rules.gen \
> 	binary-arch_armhf_none_armmp-lpae
>
> It seems like the ‘menuconfig’ won’t affect the later building?
[...]

It works for me.  (I didn't do a full build, but interrupted it and
checked that the .config file had my changes.)  Is is possible that you
have clock skew?  System clock was changed backward during the above, or
you are using a file server with unsynchronised system clock.)

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
It is easier to change the specification to fit the program than vice versa.