[kernel-sec-discuss] improved upstream tracking

dann frazier dannf at dannf.org
Mon Nov 16 23:54:10 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 04:53:37PM -0500, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> since it has been quite useful tracking upstream stable releases lately,
> would it make sense to give that it's own line.  right now, the
> 'upstream' line is often very cluttered.  an example improvement would
> be:
>
>   upstream-mainline: released (2.6.32-rc4) []
>   upstream-stable: released (2.6.31.5) []
>
> or since there are multiple stable releases:
>
>   2.6.27-upstream-stable:
>   2.6.30-upstream-stable: released (2.6.30.8) []
>   2.6.31-upstream-stable: released (2.6.31.5) []
>
> linux-next could also be tracked, but i don't know if that would
> provide anything useful:
>
>   upstream-next: pending []
>
> the boilerplate could be updated in sync with upstream changes; i.e when
> an old upstream-stable is no longer supported, it would be removed from
> the boilerplate, and when a new upstream-stable is released it gets
> added to boilerplate.
>
> just some thoughts on streamlining things.  let me know what you
> think.

I don't think it will make much of an improvement for Debian updates,
and I don't think I'd personally spend much time keeping these fields
up to date - but, if you want to do it (esp if you plan to use this to
make sure fixes get into the upstream stable trees), then I'm cool w/
it.

--
dann frazier