[Letsencrypt-devel] logs compression/rotation

drebs drebs at riseup.net
Sun Nov 26 12:42:58 UTC 2017

Hello, I just joined this list to follow the work on letsencrypt/certbot
debian packaging and help with what I can. :)

I've been using certbot in one project and I noticed that the logs are
accumulating in /var/log/letsencrypt. In our server, there are 1000
files summing up 128 MB. I noticed that each file stored the logs for
one run of certbot (each ~12 hours).

I haven't gone in depth to investigate that, and I wonder:

  - who is currently responsible for rotating those logs? is it systemd
    itself?

  - would it make sense to add rotation/compression rules to make the
    number of files and their sizes smaller? Could this be done without
    adding a dep on, eg., logrotate?

Thanks for your nice work,
drebs.

--
gpg --recv-key B2B397904D39F3B3D4BA511EA5E6BCA629BA4127