[Letsencrypt-devel] Newer releases of certbot in Stretch

Ian Campbell ijc at debian.org
Mon Jan 15 14:43:38 UTC 2018

On Thu, 2018-01-11 at 11:04 +0100, Steven Conrad Bayer wrote:
> we have noticed that since months there was no new release for certbot
> in Stretch so we want to ask when newer versions will be migrated to
> stable (not backports) or if new releaes will only come to backports.

I'm not involved with letsencrypt packaging but in general Debian
stable releases only see updates for security issues or (serious) bugs
and not simply routine version bumps since that would undermine
"stable" (in the way which Debian uses it) by possibly introducing new
bugs.

Security issues and bugs are usually addressed by backporting targeted
fixes rather than by adding entire new versions (unless there are
_very_ compelling reasons to do otherwise, such exceptions are at the
discretion of the stable release managers rather than the individual
package maintainers).

Whether things are updated in backports is up to the individual
maintainers, from https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/python-certbot it
seems that the certbot maintainers are keeping backports updated.

Ian.