[Linux-wlan-ng-devel] linux-wlan-ng 0.2.2-2 on powerpc

Vivenzio Pagliari vivenzio at web.de
Thu Sep 8 21:30:56 UTC 2005

Hello,

today I installed your latest packages on my ibook g4 (powerpc),
in order to use my DLink DWL-122 USB NIC.

More exactly, I installed:

linux-wlan-ng                          0.2.2-2 utilities for wireless prism2 cards
linux-wlan-ng-doc                      0.2.2-2 documentation for wlan-ng
linux-wlan-ng-modules-2.6.12-1-powerpc 0.2.2-2 drivers for wireless prism2 cards
linux-wlan-ng-source                   0.2.2-2 linux-wlan-ng driver

Until now, I used self compiled driver + utilities. But now,
I wanted to try out the packages provided by you.

However, there seem to be some missing pieces:
1. None of the packages contain any firmware data. Is this
   because of licensing issues? If yes, why is the firmware then
   contained in the source package? (Or at least, I guess they
   are contained there in some form [.hex files in src/prism2].)
   (I've copied them manually from my self-compiled stuff to /etc/wlan,
   where prism2dl expects them.)

2. None of the packages contains the prism2dl executable. (I had
   it left from my self-compiled source, so I used that one.)

3. The firmware loading is triggered via the hotplug mechanism
   with the wlan.agent script in /etc/hotplug. This script is contained
   in the linux-wlan-ng source, but was not contained in any
   of the binary packages. (I copied this file manually from the sources
   to /etc/hotplug.)

With these adaptions, I made my USB NIC work. Is it possible that
all this missing stuff is done by the packages automagically?

Vivenzio