[Linux-wlan-ng-devel] linux-wlan-ng 0.2.2-2 on powerpc

Vivenzio Pagliari vivenzio at web.de
Sun Sep 11 21:06:13 UTC 2005

Victor Seva wrote:

> Hi Vivenzio,
>
> I have the same problem with the same usb nic on my ibook g4 ;) . So I made a newer 0.2.2-3 version
> [0] with firmware files, prism2dl, and wlan.agent on it.
>
> But this version will not be official until we got an answer from upstream's author about firmware
> licence.
>
> Please test it, but I think it works ( I am now sending this mail with my DWL-122 usb nic ; )
>
> Thanks for your feedback

Hello Victor,

I just installed your new packages, however they did not work without
manual adjustment :-(

First of all, wlan.agent is still missing in /etc/hotplug.

Then, the firmware file is installed with wrong name:
# dpkg -L linux-wlan-ng | grep hex
/etc/wlan/prism2_sr.hex

However, the script shared.prism2 (called by wlan.agent) expects a file
called prism2_ru.hex.

After having adapted these two things, my nic works again!

BTW: How is your configuration to bring up your network interface?

Mine is:
1. I added wlan0 to /etc/network/interfaces:
   iface wlan0 inet dhcp
           wireless essid <my ssid name>
           wireless_mode managed

2. In /etc/wlan/wlan.conf, I set SSID_wlan0 to the name of my ssid.
3. I created a file /etc/wlan/wlancfg-<my ssid name>, where I set
   the encryption key used in my network.
4. I created a "start script" /etc/wlan/pre-ifup which is called
   by /etc/hotplug/wlan.agent. This does simply:

   wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_autojoin ssid=<my ssid name> authtype=opensystem
   ifconfig wlan0 up
   dhclient -pf /var/run/dhclient.wlan0.pid -lf /var/run/dhclient.wlan0.leases wlan0

With this configuration, the interface goes up automatically, when
I plug in my nic and goes down, when unplugging it.

Thanks,
Vivenzio