Naming questions

Pierre-Alexandre Voye ontologiae at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 01:26:13 UTC 2008

I discovered this email, because I have a mistake with gmail and alioth...

I have two naming questions:

1. What is the difference between create and make ? For instance, I
adding docs now to my SQLite binding and when comparing to the docs in
other objects, I noticed sometimes the use of make other times the use
of create. I have one such slot that takes a sqlite3* pointer from C and
creates a new SQLITE object from it. Should this be named "create" or
"make" ? What is the rule in regards to these two names?

> make and create is a sort of tradition from Benoit. 'make' initialise a previoulsy cloned object. create send a cloned and maked object

2. What is the rule as to when to use keywords vs. more descriptive slot
names? For instance:

- bind_string (col:INTEGER, value:ABSTRACT_STRING)
- bind_integer (col:INTEGER, value:INTEGER)
- bind_integer64 (col:INTEGER, value:INTEGER_64)
... etc

-- or --

- bind col:INTEGER to_string value:ABSTRACT_STRING
- bind col:INTEGER to_integer value:INTEGER
- bind col:INTEGER to_integer64 value:INTEGER_64
... etc

> The goal is to be nearest as possible to natural language.
>So because you're english native, you are better competent than me do decide
> what's better :)
> The second example looks more lisaac's traditional ;-)

Thanks!

Jeremy