debian package for the up-comming 0.14 version

Picca Frédéric-Emmanuel frederic-emmanuel.picca at synchrotron-soleil.Fr
Thu Aug 6 07:19:43 UTC 2009

Le Wed, 05 Aug 2009 23:15:26 +0200,
Mildred Ki'Lya <ml.mildred593 at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Benoit is currently trying to bootstrap the compiler (that is having
> the compiler 0.14 to compile itself, previously the compiler could
> only be built using the lisaac compiler 0.13). So, the master branch
> is in some kind of raw state.

ok then it will propose a .c version of the compiler for the
distribution. And the make process will propose to compile this .c
version to re-compile lisaac using rela lisaac code of the compiler :).

> I created branches for lisaac 0.12 and 0.13, also don't like having
> everything in branch master.

Yes I found them :)

It is true that when you clone a repository, the 'master' branch has a
special meaning. So maybe having this master branch reflecting the
stable version of lissac could help peoples have a nice experience with
the git repository of lisaac.

Then you propose to add into the next branch each stable
features added for the up-comming version release of lissac.

That way you have all the time a stable version working out of the box
in the master branc and a developpement version in the 'next' one also
working out of the box with new features.

this process means thah someone should have to decide which feature is
ready for the next version and merge it.

> Now, the version 0.14 is not yet released, and as such, the master
> branch is not supposed to stay stable, and contains the source that
> *will* be lisaac 0.14. I suppose that when we will release lisaac
> 0.14, we will create a tag and a branch like 0.13 and 0.12.

you can just create a tag for the version then if someone needs to
correcte a bug you just have to checkout this tag and start a new
branch from here.
in fact you should push bug correction to the head of master because it
always propose the current stable release of lisaac.
finally you will see that all those 0.x branches are useless :)

> And for branch per topic, I also agree. I'm currently working on the
> .lip files in the compiler and I have changed things quite a bit in
> here. I'll talk more about it later, but if you want, there is a
> branch mildred-projects that I work with.

Can you explain to me what is the advantage of this .lip files compare
to an integrating of the lisaac compilation process into the well known
autotools. Maybe I am missing something here. And that both could be
complementary.

thanks :)

Frederic