[Idea] [Future] code source annotation by the compiler

Mildred Ki'Lya ml.mildred593 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 12:45:54 UTC 2010

Hi,

This is an idea for the future, that is when the language will be stable
enough, the compiler free of bugs and with other fundamental feature
working (like the garbage collector). So, not for now.

The idea is when compiling an application, the compiler would generate
HTML versions of all the source files, and add annotations like:

- which code was compiled, which code is dead
- when a call was inlined and why
- if a call is at risk of producing a call on NULL error
- for every instruction, give the set of dynamic type detected
- say when an optimisation was performed

I think it could be a great tool for at least two things:
- code coverage using unit tests (eXtreme Programming tool)
- for critical application when we expect optimisations and we want to
be sure they were performed

Mildred

--
Mildred Ki'Lya