A question and a proposal

Pierre-Nicolas Clauss pini at tuxfamily.org
Sun Jul 25 15:46:50 UTC 2010

Hello people of lisaac,

Let me first introduce myself: my name is Pierre-Nicolas Clauss, I'm
currently in a post-doctoral position at LORIA in Nancy (that most of
you know). I graduated my PhD there last year (in team AlGorille).
I've also been involved in the SmartEiffel project a few years ago. I
learned programming when I was much younger: my father taught me
Pascal, and since then I learned and practiced a lot of languages. I
stumbled upon lisaac when Benoit came to LORIA to present it. I've
been very impressed by the prototype paradigm (in comparison to
class-based OO, mostly) and the very cool, clean and simple syntax of
the language.

Lisaac has always been part of my favorite languages list (along with
Ada, Eiffel and Haskell, that I learned recently), and now that I have
some spare time to spend, I'm willing to give a hand (or two) to your
team.

Currently, my brain is involved in building a thick binding of the
OpenGL library for lisaac. I don't know if any real-life application
will come out of it (I hope so, but I suffer from the
Ineverfinishanything illness), but it can surely help promoting the
language.

That was my proposal.
Here is now my question (it's for the curiosity, nothing to do with
anything I'm using lisaac for):

I saw in the beamer presentation available on the website (slides 73
to 75) that the Mapping section is to be used to access
hardware-specific layouts. The examples show how to achieve mapping
with multiple of bytes data types (UINTEGER_16 and UINTEGER_32). Is it
also possible to perform such a mapping on data which is not an
integer multiple of bytes such as mapping, say, 3 bits (mostly like
bitfields work in C) ? Os-deving was a time-consuming hobby of mine
before my PhD, and such mapping features are very handy and less
error-prone than bitwise operations.

Thank you for your attention,
Hope to here about you soon,

--