[lockdev-devel] drop baudboy.h?

Roger Leigh rleigh at codelibre.net
Mon May 3 14:56:11 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 10:46:53AM +0100, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
> I'm wondering whether the explicit use of baudboy.h to switch to the
> helper based method actually is a good idea. IMO it would be more
> clean to just have applications use ttylock.h and hide the
> implementation specific use of a helper. Since Debian has /var/lock
> world writeable a helper actually isn't needed there. For RedHat and
> SUSE we need the helper. So we could drop baudboy.h add a configure
> switch that determines at build time whether the ttylock interface
> should use the helper.

Sorry for the delay, PhD work again.  Hopefully I'll have a few
evenings free over the next few weeks to get this all done.

Is this difference in the /var/lock permissions the sole need for
baudboy.h?

If a helper could be used where required without the user needing to
explicitly code for that, it would be much better, IMO.

The ownership and permissions of /var/lock aren't specified in the FHS
or LSB, but existing usage of serial device locks for e.g. modems by
users in an appropriate group would suggest that users should have the
ability to create such locks.  I guess there's a potential for abuse
here if rogue users create locks to deny service to a device; is this
the rationale for restricting use?

Regards,
Roger

--