[Logcheck-devel] current bugs + next release

Gerfried Fuchs alfie at ist.org
Tue May 4 10:01:42 UTC 2004

* maks attems <debian at sternwelten.at> [2004-05-03 21:56]:
> 1) is there any difference in actual debian sarge
>    between the /var/tmp partition and /tmp ?

 Already solved, but: Those aren't partitions, just directories. It's up
to the admin to make them seperate partitions, if they like. We should
though still refer to them as directories.

 Does noone check out the FHS for questions of this kind these days? :)

,-----------------------------> quote FHS <-----------------------------
| 5.12  /var/tmp : Temporary files preserved between system reboots
|
| The /var/tmp directory is made available for programs that require
| temporary files or directories that are preserved between system
| reboots.  Therefore, data stored in /var/tmp is more persistent than
| data in /tmp.
|
| Files and directories located in /var/tmp must not be deleted when the
| system is booted.  Although data stored in /var/tmp is typically deleted
| in a site-specific manner, it is recommended that deletions occur at a
| less frequent interval than /tmp.
`-----------------------------> quote FHS <-----------------------------

 Wheres it says for /tmp:

,-----------------------------> quote FHS <-----------------------------

`-----------------------------> quote FHS <-----------------------------

> 2) woody bugs .. apart from grave data loses or security bugs,
>    do we need to support it's version and how?

 Support as in if there are higher than important bugs in it. It might
be possible to convince Joey to include bugfixes for important bugs,
everything else isn't able to do for stable.

 If you like to close such bugs please note that they are fixed for the
upcoming release (I would even only close them if the fix is already in
sarge -- there is no hurry needed here), and tell the submitter that
there is no chance that it will be fixed in woody. If they want to play
the game and reopen tag them wontfix.

> 3) next release .. todd please wait for current to migrate for sarge,
>    helps for better testing.

 Yes. I guess we should pin our release cycle to the testing transition.
Of course for things that are serious a shorter timestamp makes sense,
but usually we shouldn't release more often than the package might move
to testing.

> 4) #243019 .. i've verified it's purpose, so i'll repeat the question:
>    we do ignore crontab edits but not crontab lists.

 Uh? Sounds strange, yes. I would have also expected it the other way
round...

> well it's easy to add crontab -l log message, but should we ignore
> crontab -e?

 I would switch them, and even guess that this was the way it was
intended by the original add.

> 5) mailing-lists: logcheck-commits and logcheck-user have no archive?

 Because no mail passed that lists yet. The archive will automagically
be created on first mail.

 About logcheck-commits: Wanted? Makes sense, I will set it up, it just
requires having a script somewhere on the webserver and adding an entry
to CVSROOT/loginfo.

> 6) bash dependency .. not very happy about that one,
>    bashism is a valid bug in my eyes ..
>    but like todd said .. not high priority

 Go and find a different solution, then. :)  Like said: bash is
essential, in base and required. I don't see any big reasons for not
using it, if the workaround would be very hard to do.

> 8) we have a first pt_br translation, do we need to post on
>    a translators mailing-list that we are happily integrating
>    those?

 Just include it, maybe tag it pending if you like. I will be doing a
de.po file.

> 9) how can we ask our users how many times logcheck should be
>    run with priority medium and default to every hour?
>    (bonus: #226937 #222240)

 I am not sure if medium is appropriate. The current default is a
sensible one, don't you think so? I would rather make it low.

 So long,
Alfie
--
<SynrG> some people blog.  i can't be bothered.  too much effort.  i do irc
        monologues instead :P)