[Logcheck-devel] Re: [Logcheck-commits] CVS logcheck/debian

Gerfried Fuchs alfie at ist.org
Sat May 29 13:04:55 UTC 2004

* maks attems <debian at sternwelten.at> [2004-05-21 14:51]:
> On Fri, 21 May 2004, Todd Troxell wrote:
>> Maybe we should just substitute for a mentioning of the cron file in the
>> docs.  Right now it says the interval can be changed, but it does not say
>> how.
>
> better than wontfix, me not eager to keep a collection of "bugs".

 Of course not.

> postgresql asks many question with debconf,

 Do you *really* want to compare a database system with logcheck?!
Sorry, I don't see the connection.

> they are quite important,

 They are, of course, for a database. logcheck isn't a database, so you
can't compare it.

> and i like to configure it that way!

 Because it makes sense. You need to answer quite most of those to be
able to run postgres at all. You do *not* need to know if the user
prefers a different cronjob interval for running logcheck sensibly,
though.

 After all, the cron files are located below /etc and thus needs to
preserve user changes anyway. What is the real problem with people
editing /etc/cron.d/logcheck? I don't get it...

> so i don'f find debconf per se evil.

 No, not per se. But it must be allowed to discuss if a debconf question
does make sense or not. IF we add a question for the cron interval it
should be put to low, though.

 So long,
Alfie
--
Perl warns you ....  (if "-w" is set - but you always do that).
       -- perldoc -f exec