[Logcheck-devel] dedup and sort rules

maks attems debian at sternwelten.at
Sat Oct 2 11:12:50 UTC 2004

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004, Michel Verdier wrote:

> maks attems <debian at sternwelten.at> a écrit :
>
> > hmm i should have better followed the code,
> > the script does not pay at _all_ attention to file permissions.
> > i'm not shure if we want to pass the to our users.
>
> it is supposed to be run by root after an upgrade
> what would you like ?

shure but,
it saves the newfile without regard of previous group ownership
of logcheck group nor does it pay attention to the file permisions
of the rulefiles: 640
you can't place your bet on roots umask, he may legitemly have
umask 077 and than any of your newly written files will not be
readable for logcheck runs.

> > i'm not familiar enough with your code to change it in only
> > warn on duplicate rules but do not sort or rewrite files.
>
> I could add option to sort and rewrite

options on startup for the available actions would be great,
i would like to run it sometimes without any action,
but just the warning of duplicate rules.

pending aboves rewrite, i'v removed the script from cvs,
as i did not consider it stable enough to push it into sarge.
as soon as aboves concerns are addresssed, i'll reconsider.
thanks for your feedback.

ps please do not exclude logcheck-debel from cc inputs. thx :)

--
maks