[Logcheck-devel] dedup and sort rules

Todd Troxell ttroxell at debian.org
Mon Sep 6 03:40:50 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 02:59:35PM +0200, Michel Verdier wrote:
> Hi,

Hello Michel

> Migrating from woody to sarge I decided to automate logcheck update. Here
> is a script which :
> - sorts rules
> - suppress duplicate rules in a same file
> - checks duplicate rules in files in a same directory
> - adds debian .dpkg-dist files into old files

This seems like a useful script for users who manage their own rules.  I'm
NOT going to think about automating this in sarge, but perhaps later.
Regardless I would like to include it with the current logcheck package,
perhaps as documentation.

> Also I prefer to read mails in a thread so I patched logcheck to always
> have the same subject :
>
> *** /usr/sbin/logcheck.orig Sat Aug 14 04:56:24 2004
> --- /usr/sbin/logcheck  Fri Aug 27 19:26:33 2004
> ***************
> *** 253,258 ****
> --- 253,261 ----
>       if [ $ADDTAG = "yes" ]; then
>           subject="[logcheck] $subject"
>       fi
> +     if [ "x$SUBJECT" != "x" ]; then
> +         subject="$SUBJECT"
> +     fi
>
>       if [ $MAILOUT -eq 1 ]; then
>         debug "Sending report to STDOUT"
>
> In /etc/logcheck/logcheck.conf I added :
>
> SUBJECT="[logcheck] `hostname`"

This seems like a good idea post-sarge for the sake of threading, but I'd
probably implement this differently.

Please file an appropriate wishlist bug.  Thanks!

--
[   Todd J. Troxell                                         ,''`.
      Student, Debian GNU/Linux Developer, SysAdmin, Geek  : :' :