[Logcheck-devel] Logcheck Talk / Logcheck.org / Pylogcheck

Jon Middleton jjm at debian.org
Thu Apr 21 21:01:15 UTC 2005

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 02:48:47AM -0500, Todd Troxell wrote:

> > concerning logtail i still prefer to have it in c,
> > but no code here to show yet.
>
> I think this would probably be a good idea, though I'd like to run some
> experimental benchmarks on this.  I started writing something like this[0] a
> while back, but was so concerned with doing it correctly that I never
> actually made it functional <:

Just checked my logcheck mail folder for the first time this
year. Logtail was orginally written in C, but was recoded in perl to
keep it from being recomplied for all arch's.

I always had the feeling that it could have been coded better, if it
is going to the recoded I think it would be great if the following
could be corrected

  * The manner that storing of the offset data is not directorys in the path to
    the file are not delimited by .'s

  * decttion of Log file rotation is handle by logtail script and not
    in logcheck. This should make things eaiser.

All of this should be taken with a pinch of salt, as I've not looked
at the code much in the last 2 years.

--
Jon (ex logcheck maintainer)

         "In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men
            were real men, women were real women, and small furry
      creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from
                              Alpha Centauri. "
                     The Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy

[1] /var/log/apache.log and /var/log/apache/log would appear as the
    same file to logtail.