[Logcheck-devel] Re: postfix logcheck

martin f krafft madduck at debian.org
Mon Jul 3 05:12:02 UTC 2006

also sprach Jamie L. Penman-Smithson <lists at silverdream.org> [2006.07.02.0012 +0200]:
> >As far as I can tell, Postfix adds extended status codes, so instead
> >of "250", you now get "250 2.0.0".
>
> Most of the rules have been updated to include these. If you find
> any  which have not been, file a bug.

Are you sure? If I look at e.g.
violations.ignore.d/logcheck-postfix, some of the most common rules,
like relay access denied warnings, have *not* been updated for
postfix 2.3, which is still in experimental.

> >Why not move them to the postfix package?
>
> I don't see a reason to upset the status quo?

Sure, that's always a reason, but Debian wouldn't be where it is if
we always had chosen to do nothing.

Look at the postfix filter files, there are so many old rules in
there that will never match, and there are rules that apply only to
e.g. 2.2... why should my logcheck even need to look at them when
I have 2.3 installed.

logcheck-database is an okay package during a transition, but in the
long run, packages should be providing their own logcheck files! The
idea is not for logcheck files to provide as many rules as possible,
but to provide those rules applicable to a package. And this is only
possible if the package itself provides the rules.

--
 .''`.     martin f. krafft <madduck at debian.org>
`. `'`

Invalid/expired PGP (sub)keys? Use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

"education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time
 to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught."
                                                        -- oscar wilde