[Logcheck-devel] moving rules out of logcheck-database into the packages

martin f krafft madduck at debian.org
Mon Jul 3 22:56:40 UTC 2006

One of my gripes with logcheck is that it installs filters for
packages that are not installed, and even for packages that are
installed, it installs filters across multiple versions (e.g.
postfix).

I think the Debian way is for packages to provide their own logcheck
filters. Thus, in the very long-run, what I would really like to see
is an effort to move the files into the respective packages.
Obviously, not all maintainers will be happy with that, but if we
can get consensus and a coordinated effort, I think we can go very
far.

I'd be willing to coordinate the transition(s), but I'd like to hear
what people have to say. I have heard the argument that it's best
not to upset the status quo, but that just doesn't feel right to me
-- we are dealing with Debian after all, so we *can* move ahead to
provide better integration of logcheck with the rest of the archive.

What are peoples' thoughts on this?

--
 .''`.     martin f. krafft <madduck at debian.org>
`. `'`

"the greatest trick the devil ever pulled
 was convincing the world he didn't exist."
                                 -- verbal kint (the usual suspects)