[Logcheck-devel] moving rules out of logcheck-database into the packages

maximilian attems maks at sternwelten.at
Tue Jul 4 15:46:06 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 05:36:40PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Jamie L. Penman-Smithson <lists at silverdream.org> [2006.07.04.1652 +0200]:
>
> Also -- but it's probably way too late for that -- a common prefix
> for all files installed by logcheck-database would be helpful, and
> it would make it much easier for maintainers to start providing
> their own rule files without a file conflict.

that's only usefull if you push the rulefiles to the packages.

> > Having logcheck rules moved out of logcheck breaks dedicated
> > loghosts.
>
> If the goal is to support logcheck on loghosts (which sounds weird
> to me), then you should make it policy that *no* packages provide
> rule files.

this is a very common logcheck install and if you look at the archives
back that was the main reason to move logfiles back into logcheck-db

i was quite frustrated back than that Rhonda, who doesn't do much
rule file managamgent heavily voiced the contrare.
(no that is on attack, you did marvelous job for the debconf and
 the template translations)
but xtat didn't rule back then as project leader so i don't
remain as active as before that discussion.

moving the rules to the packages also really makes it harder
to have logcheck for another os.
their postfix is very similar to ours, so they should just
inherit the rules.

now that there seem some logcheck action again,
i'd be motivated to clean up old upgrade path stuff.

regards

--
maks