[Logcheck-devel] logcheck on SUSE Linux - Debian-specifics

Matthias Andree ma at dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de
Fri May 12 08:45:36 UTC 2006

maximilian attems schrieb am 2006-05-11:

> On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 05:08:23PM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > it's good to see someone's taken responsibility to maintain logcheck.
> >
> > However, installing logcheck on SUSE Linux 10.0 turns out to be a major PITA.
> >
> > 1. SUSE doesn't have lockfile-progs or other packages providing these programs.
> >
> > 2. SUSE doesn't have run-parts either.
>
> afaik even busybox provides run-parts so your second point makes me
> wonder.

Well, it's not there, and installing SUSE Linux 10.0's busybox RPM and
running busybox.install /tmp/bb does not install run-parts either --
sorry!

> could you please post your rpm.spec so that it can be shared for others?

Well, there are some issues that occurred during production (logcheck
interference with rkhunter, being able to read logs and all that, review
of the liblockfile LD_PRELOAD stuff) that I would like to sort out
first. I'll mail the .spec files to you off-list just so there's a
backup and a starting point, but it's not yet production ready except
for the run-parts and lockfile-progs RPMs.

I think that run-parts should be rewritten as shell function, and
perhaps the locking stuff too, for portability beyond Linux. I may be
able to help here, but it won't happen in an instant unfortunately.

All the world's not Linux...

--
Matthias Andree