[Logcheck-devel] Templating system - basic m4 implementation

Russell Howe rhowe at bmtmarinerisk.com
Wed Jan 13 12:48:30 UTC 2010

Hi,

I saw a page on the wiki about a templating system and I agree it would
probably be quite handy.

I don't profess to know much about m4 or make, but had a go at knocking
something together anyway:

Makefile:

M4=m4

M4LIBS=$(wildcard lib/*.m4)
SRCS=$(wildcard src/*)
TARGETS=$(subst .in,.rules,$(subst src,build,$(SRCS)))

.PHONY : build
build : $(TARGETS)

.PHONY : clean
clean :
	rm -rf build/*

%.rules: $(SRCS) $(M4LIBS)
	$(M4) $(M4LIBS) $< > $@

Create 3 directories, build, lib and src
Put "library" patterns in lib and the rules you wish to process in src
Run make
Processed files ready for passing to logcheck should be in build

I haven't actually tried this in production yet, but it seems to do kind
of the right thing...

Useful to anyone?

--
Russell Howe, IT Manager. <rhowe at bmtmarinerisk.com>