[Logcheck-devel] Requesting clarification on a few things

Jeremy L. Gaddis jlgaddis at gnu.org
Fri Jul 8 04:24:54 UTC 2011

All,

First off, for those who aren't aware, let me introduce myself.

I am a longtime Debian user (~15 years now) and systems/network guy in
my professional life.  Like most of you, I'm sure, I prefer to use free
software whenever possible.

I am also a newcomer to the logcheck project.  About three months ago, I
responded to madduck's now nearly two-year-old Request For Help[0] and
was added to the project.  In that time, I have made a few updates to
rules files in response to open bugs.

A few days ago, Hannes (in a private email) sent me some comments (which
were most welcome and appreciated, by the way) and noted that he was
planning to release 1.3.14 soon.  I have a few questions, mostly
centered around the way things are done (with regard to logcheck), that
I hope the other team members can help me with.  I'd like to help close
out as many bugs as possible before 1.3.14 so I am requesting
clarification on several things.

One thing that Hannes mentioned was in response to commits 5f7da05[1]
and cf5e9d3[2] which I made to address bug #590559[3].  As he mentioned
in his email, webmin was removed from the Debian archive over five years
ago[4].  He Cc:'d madduck asking what the policy is for rules for
packages that have been removed from Debian.  My personal thought was
that since they were still there, they might as well be updated.  For
clarification and future reference, I am interested in knowing what the
policy is as well.

Regarding commit 6a4bf69[5] to close bug #616616[6], I updated a rule to
reflect an upstream change in the log message.  In this case, the "old"
rule was for a (Postfix) package version that is no longer supported in
Debian, so it was removed and the new rule added.  In cases where this
occurs and the "old" version is still supported, I assume the right
thing to do would be to add the new rule and keep the old one as well
(until the package version is no longer supported).  Please correct me
if that is wrong.

Currently, I am trying to figure out the proper thing to do with regard
to bug #621373[7].  This is a request for two rules related to log
messages generated by avahi-daemon.  As of now, there are no rules in
logcheck-database for Avahi.  Is there some process for deciding if it
is appropriate to add them or do we just go ahead (which seems like the
logical decision to me).  Assuming this is correct, it should only be a
matter of creating the avahi-daemon file and adding the two rules I have
created (slightly modified from the original bug report).

Related to that, can I assume that the proper file to create would be
i.d.s/avahi-daemon instead of i.d.w/avahi-daemon?  Avahi is often
present on both servers and workstations so it would seem appropriate to
put it under i.d.s since those rules will get applied when REPORTLEVEL
is set to "workstation" as well as "server".

I have the necessary changes to close #621373 ready to go; I just need
to merge them into master and push them but am holding off until I
become more clear on "how things work" (hence, this email).

My next question is how is it decided whether or not to add, delete, or
update (whatever the case may be) rules in response to a request/bug
report?  I have read some bug reports (e.g. #564063[8]) where the
correct decision is not obvious.  Do we add the rules or not?  How do
you decide?

Bug #617232[9] mentions rules which match on IPv4 addresses but will not
match IPv6 addresses.  Should we begin updating rules so that both IPv4
and IPv6 addresses will be matched?  Is there a preferred methodology
for doing this, or is it okay to simply start working on it now?

On a side note, is it appropriate to add my own name to the list on the
main logcheck page[10]?  Maybe it's a little narcisstic, but I like
seeing my own name.  :)

Last, I am mostly operating under my own "best judgment".  Because
everything is in git, I have pretty much decided to simply do what I
think is right knowing that (if I'm wrong) the changes can quickly and
easily be reverted.  Thus, if you happen to see something I've done that
I shouldn't have, please feel free to revert back (an email letting me
know why would be appreciated too).  Until I get a better feel for how
things are done with regard to logcheck, I'll probably continue with
this line of thinking (unless I'm way off base, in which case you should
let me know).

This email turned out much longer than I anticipated but includes almost
everything I am unsure about.  Thanks for taking the time to read it,
and I will be most appreciative of any responses.

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis

[0]: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=539944