[Logcheck-devel] Templating (was: Requesting clarification on a few things)

martin f krafft madduck at debian.org
Fri Jul 8 10:36:36 UTC 2011

also sprach Jeremy L. Gaddis <jlgaddis at gnu.org> [2011.07.08.1133 +0200]:
> > Rather than hacking the regexps, this should really be done by
> > finally introducing macros/templates/patterns into rulefiles.
>
> >From what I gathered (either from the archives or the wiki, I forget
> which), it seems that this idea has been floating around for a while but
> hasn't really taken off yet. Is anyone [interested in] leading this
> effort?

There has been no real work done, other than conceptual:

  http://wiki.logcheck.org/LogcheckTemplateSystem

and also, #376106 includes a proof-of-concept hack in a Makefile.

Even though templating isn't that hard, instead of implementing our
own solution, maybe it might be worth to investigate existing ones,
e.g. m4 and template toolkit etc. I am not saying that they are
better, but we should have a look. I do not want to overload
dependencies on logcheck, or make it even slower, but maybe there is
something out there that already does it all.

Cheers,

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck at d.o>      Related projects:
: :'  :  proud Debian developer               http://debiansystem.info

when everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.