[Logcheck-users] "syslog is smaller" warning

Martin Bartenberger martin.bartenberger at fm5.at
Tue Jan 20 13:04:55 UTC 2009

Hi list,

I've installed logcheck some time ago. I also added some ignore filters,
but there's one thing I can't figure out. Every day I get the following
mail from logcheck:

System Events
*** WARNING ***: Log file /var/log/syslog is smaller than last time checked!
*************** This could indicate tampering.

I guess it has something to do with the logrotate. I'm pretty sure it's
a false alarm but I don't know how and where to add a ignore filter to
stop these daily warnings.

Thanks for all helpful answers and greetings from Vienna/Austria,

martin