[Ltrace-devel] ltrace and .opd section

Ian Wienand ianw at gelato.unsw.edu.au
Mon Apr 24 18:50:49 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 11:13:31AM -0700, PAUL GILLIAM wrote:
> You have it.  If there is no .odp section, then elf_plt2addr should just
> return it's 'addr' argument.
>
> I think that change has already been made.
>
> Sorry.  I fixed this in the 'secure plt' branch, but not in the trunk.

OK, I think I've been here before; see

http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/IA64wiki/PPC64ABI

Notably, on IA64 the PLT entries are function descriptors, so don't
need to be loaded, as is happening in the old code.  IA64 still has an
.opd section for function address comparision.

This appears fixed in the secure PLT branch, as there PPC has changed
so that the PLT isn't writable (as on IA64) so can be loaded directly.

I think this signals it is time to merge the secure plt branch, since
the current behaviour is wrong for IA64.  Sound like a good idea?

-i