[Ltrace-devel] current make check failures

Steve Fink sphink at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 05:57:04 UTC 2006

On 9/25/06, Olaf Hering <olh at suse.de> wrote:

> I have added the results of current svn, r68.
> I had to revert r54 'rejig testcase grepping'

Maybe I'm misreading things, but from the logs that you sent out, it appears
that your test runs are showing that the tests are crashing out because of
bad shell syntax -- but the test harness misinterprets those results as
PASSes.

If I am correct, then your reversion of r54 is just covering up a large
number of completely bogus tests. r54 also added one attempt at detecting
bad test syntax (rather than interpreting it as a passing test), although I
don't think it would have caught this case.

The test suite seems very brittle, and that brittleness appears to be a
direct result of typical Tcl quoting stupidities. The test case arguments
really shouldn't be subjected to shell quoting in the first place, but I
have forgotten too much Tcl to know whether there's a way to do that or not.