[Ltrace-devel] Merged thread tracing into master

Petr Machata pmachata at redhat.com
Tue Nov 29 14:13:51 UTC 2011

Hi there,

I wrote about my pmachata/threads branch several times over the past
half a year or so.  I spent about the last two or three months fixing
all sorts of races, regressions and odd cases, most of them found by my
colleague Michal Nowak, who was in charge of testing the feature for
inclusion in Red Hat Enterprise Linux.  I believe the code is now robust
enough, and have merged it into master today.

Together with the threading support, which forms bulk of the patch, the
framework is reused for support of tracing across vfork.  Odd scenarios
like forking or vforking a thread should also work.  Also, we should now
properly detach from traced process.  In the past, we would sometimes
kill the tracee on detach.

Currently, you have to use -f to trace threads.  Maybe this should be
refined, and tracing threads should be separated from following forks.
We might even follow threads by default, and have -f only for forks.  I
will write whatever the list at large thinks is best.

I removed mentions of thread support from TODO and BUGS.  Actual bugs in
thread support can be added as needed.

Thanks,
PM