[Ltrace-devel] ltrace-0.5.3: Fix linking libiberty due to removal from target_libraries in gcc-4.6.2

Petr Machata pmachata at redhat.com
Tue May 15 20:46:57 UTC 2012

Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek at googlemail.com> writes:
> OK.  Do you happen to know how MIPS is supported these days with
> recent ltrace?

Not very well, I'm afraid.  MIPS support was achieved by a lot of
duplication and enclosing MIPS-related support to ifdefs.  When I made
changes across ltrace to support tracing multi-threaded processes and
more recently tracing of DSOs, I attempted to keep MIPS (and PPC, which
was similar in this respect) unbroken, but frankly I doubt that it works
today.  PPC needed some fixes, and MIPS may need them as well.

A lot of that duplication was weeded out of ltrace these days, by
inventing new back end hooks that capture the necessary logic.  So when
MIPS is fixed, it stands a better chance of surviving unrelated changes,
if they respect the back end API.

I want to look into MIPS in particular (it's not the first time that it
was mentioned on this list), but first I'll focus on making revamp
branch merge-able again, and then on s390's and ARM back ends.

Thanks,
PM