[Ltrace-devel] Release soon?

Petr Machata pmachata at redhat.com
Thu Oct 25 14:15:26 UTC 2012

Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek at gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to see a v0.7.0 release soonish :-)!

The current status is that I'm working on metafiles: README's of all
sorts and manual pages.  I think I'll be about happy with this before
this weekend.

> [ Release Candidate ]
>
> But... what about a Releace Candidate (RC) before releasing a v0.7.0
> final to give people a chance for feedback?
> What about announcing such an RC to Linux (news) online services like
> Freshmeat/Icewalkers/Slashdot/etc.?
> ( Tarballs with a constant URL for downloading is highly
> appreciated. )

FWIW, I just updated the Freshmeat (it's now called FreeCode) page
yesterday with the 0.6.0.  I will definitely be posting 0.7.0 as well.

You can think of 0.7.0 as an RC.  We may make 0.7.1 bugfix release
shortly after that.

> [ Debianizing ]
>
> I would also like to see a polished up debian/ directory.
> It is while ago I did some debianizing but I have CCed the current
> Debian maintainer and the guy from ltrace-git debian/changelog [1].
> IIRC files like README, NEWS etc are also recognized when packaging...
> but I have to consult the Debian maintainers guide as well.

Generally I don't think things like that belong to an upstream SCM, but
since we are hosted by Debian, it seems fair to leave it there.  I can't
however maintain it myself, as I'm not a Debian user, let alone
maintainer.  I would accept patches that bring this up to date.

> [ Copyright notes | debian/copyright file ]
>
> I had a quick look at some recent checked-in files into the ltrace GIT
> repository.
> You happen to know if all the files have a updated (C)opyright header?
> This is IIRC very important to Debian folks to have an up2date
> debian/copyright file [2]!

In 0.6.0, most files lacked copyright and license headers at all.
I added these for files that I touched on my revamp branch (I wrote
about it in [1]), and intend to do the same with the remainder as well.
Attributing stuff retroactively like this is inevitably inaccurate, but
it's the best that we can do.

[1] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/ltrace-devel/2012-January/000540.html

> [ Status of archs ]
>
> Is there a file containing the status of the various archs?

So, this is to distro maintainers: would this be in some way useful to
you?  Currently what we have is this:

  http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/ltrace.git;a=blob;f=README;hb=HEAD#l20

Before actually doing the release, I'll re-test on machines that I have
available (I can test x86, ppc, s390 and ia64 backends) and update the
list accordingly (or fix stuff).

> [ "org mode" ]
>
> Never heard of that, more infos?

http://orgmode.org/