[Ltrace-devel] 32-bit ARM support

Petr Machata pmachata at redhat.com
Thu Jan 31 00:44:53 UTC 2013

Hi there,

the branch pmachata/arm holds bits pertaining to better support of ARM
architecture.  32-bit ARM apparently doesn't support singlestepping in
hardware, and kernel emulation has been removed some time ago, so we
have to do software singlestepping ourselves.  I stole most of the code
from GDB, did a bit of fixing in ltrace core, and the relevant parts of
testsuite now pass, in ARM as well as in Thumb mode.  One thing that I
omitted was processing Thumb2 If-Then instructions.  I think the need to
step over those shouldn't come up in ltrace.

I'll look at parameter passing convention (the fetch backend) next.
Those parts of testsuite still loudly fail.

When this is all done, perhaps near the end of February, I'd like to
release 0.8.0 with this and probably the config branch in.  I'll write
another e-mail before the release is imminent.

Thank you,
PM