[Ltrace-devel] Welcome + argument question.

Adam Malinowski a.malinowsk2 at partner.samsung.com
Tue Oct 22 07:13:48 UTC 2013

Hi.

>> What happened from version 0.5.3 (Ubuntu) with printing strings in
>> syscalls arguments?

> 0.5.3 is ancient, ltrace really ought to be rebased to 0.7 (where this
> works per my testing).  One thing worth checking would be whether ltrace
> sees /etc/ltrace.conf (stracing ltrace is a way to see whether
> /etc/ltrace.conf is opened successfully).  If not, then ltrace doesn't
> see the syscall prototypes, and won't know which parameters are strings.
I know it is ancient but this version is currently used in Ubuntu 12.04
distro which I have and this version shows syscall arguments correctly.
So that is why I compared HEAD git version with 0.5.3
And ltrace sees config file. I've checked that before.
Furthermore, as I've written before, ltrace prints library calls
correctly so it mast see the file.

> I also see this is broken on master, probably due to my prototype
> library work.  Clearly we don't have tests for this.  I'll have to fix
> this before 0.8.
That would be great.

I've also looked at the source for 0.5.3 version and differences are huge.
There was argument type STRING which is missing in current source.
I assume that this is due to completely new approach to prototypes.

And now maybe I should explain why I am so interested in ltrace.
I needed a tool to trace system calls blocked by seccomp filter of given
process.
It turned out that neither strace nor ltrace has such functionality.
Ltrace seemed to be simpler to modify :)
So I've added cooperation with seccomp to ltrace and enhanced summary a
little.
If you are interested in such changes I will give it to you.
I'm not sure if I did it correctly but it works :)

Thanks,
Adam Malinowski